Sunday, 11 February 2007

The eleventh of February

Let sweetness in my thoughts, words and actions be the most visible of all virtues*

I don't think I've ever really thought about which virtues ought to be more visible than which other ones. Unless the virtue inherently has something visible about it, I'm not convinced it matters. I don't see why honesty, for example, shouldn't be just as visible as "sweetness", whatever that's meant to mean in this saying.

Something from the Bible:

“When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.”—Matthew 6:5–6 (NLT)

<><

* Reproduced by permission of the copyright-holder BK Publications, London, www.bkpublications.com

1 comment:

ruthmck said...

This verse is cool, but it is good to balance it with another verse from Matthew which says

"Let your light shine before men that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven."

We don't need to always actively hide our virtues, or good things which we do, but it can be good to be discreet about them, so that we don't fall into the trap of doing them to receive praise ourselves. I think that is why Jesus suggested we don't pray out loud to be heard.

Another verse in Proverbs (I think chapter 3) says something like this:

"Let love and loyalty show like a necklace."

I've been a bit busy lately, and not commenting much, it's good to be back! Have a great week Tim :)