Monday, 5 February 2007

The fourth of February

In silence we find a solution to every problem*

You know, I spent quite a lot of time yesterday thinking about problem number four on my number theory assignment. Some of the time I was thinking in silence, some of the time I was listening to music. I probably occasionally talked to myself, too. I eventually solved the problem when I was listening to music.

Sure, sitting and taking time to think about something can often help solve problems. By not acting on every thought as soon as it comes to you, you give yourself a chance to consider what the possible consequences are. I'm not sure that such a sweeping statement about "every problem" is warranted, though.

<><

* Reproduced by permission of the copyright-holder BK Publications, London, www.bkpublications.com

No comments: