Monday, 22 January 2007

The twenty-first of January

Thoughts take more time and space in our lives than actions*

I don't know whether or not today's saying is universally true, but I am inclined to believe that allowing too little time for thoughts can result in unpleasantness. I'm not sure how much space thoughts take. Mind you, I do tend to pace up and down sometimes when I'm thinking.

Jesus had some interesting things to say about thoughts:

“You have heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.’ But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! …
“You have heard the commandment that says, ‘You must not commit adultery.’ But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”—Matthew 5:21–22a,27–28 (NLT)

Sounds difficult to me. It's a good thing we don't have to earn our way into heaven by being good.

<><

* Reproduced by permission of the copyright-holder BK Publications, London, www.bkpublications.com

No comments: