Tuesday, 23 January 2007

The twenty-second of January

I'm really running late this time.

In order to maintain dignity I stay in the sunlight of contentment and keep out of the shadow of desires*

I've already talked about contentment a bit, so I thought I'd concentrate on the desires bit. I think it's often very difficult for us to control what we desire, even if we can control which desires we act on. I don't think you can just decide I don't want liquorice if you really do want it. Possibly the only way to control what we desire is indirectly; if you put the liquorice in a cupboard, instead of on the table, then you won't think of it so often, and consequently won't desire it quite so often. Of course, not every desire is necessarily always bad.

As for the connections among dignity, contentment, and desires: the one thing I can think of that links them all is greed. Acting on every greedy desire would be a bit undignified, but if you're content with what you've got, then greed can't get so much of a foothold.

<><

* Reproduced by permission of the copyright-holder BK Publications, London, www.bkpublications.com

2 comments:

Lynet said...

You know, I think desire for dignity might almost contradict the proverb of the eighteenth. I know "is a sign of greatness" is not the same as "is an essential part of being a wise person", but, still.

Tim said...

I'll take this opportunity to note a distinction I was making, which may help explain the differences between my comments on the eighteenth and my comments here and on the eighth.

I took influence of people to refer to a small number of people — perhaps friends, family, and mentors. I think I consider dignity to refer to something a person has or doesn't have, regardless of how that person is perceived.

However, prestige and regard suggested to me the idea of more widespread fame and recognition.

Those are approximately the ideas I think I had in mind when I was writing those entries.

<><